Saturday, January 26, 2008

Marathon Madness!


Well folks...I did it. I finally ran a marathon! Saying that I've run 5 half marathons (which if you do the math adds up to 2-1/2 marathons) just didn't cut it anymore. It was finally time to stop talking about doing a marathon and actually do it! I picked to run in the Phoenix Rock and Roll Marathon which proved to be a wise choice given the mild temperatures (right around 50 degrees at the start and the mid-60's by the end) and the flat course.



I did fine for the first 13 miles of the marathon, averaging right around a 10:00 minute mile pace without walking (see the blue line in the chart above). I became aware of my feet around mile 8 and my legs started feeling a little tight around mile 14. It wasn't until mile 16 that I started to struggle a bit...stopping to stretch and rest a bit. By mile 18 I couldn't run and all I could do is walk. After crossing the 20 mile mark I stopped at a medical tent to get a leg massage, a couple aspirin, and some salt. It appears that my sodium levels were low which is why I was cramping. As soon as I left the tent I felt like a champ and ran the rest of the way with a few quick walks to further loosen my leg muscles. I finished with an official time of 5:07:35 (take away the 9 minute massage I ran it in under 5 hours). I am very much looking forward to doing this again!


I've registered for the Shamrock Shuffle in April and the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May. It is my hope to find another marathon to do sometime in the fall. I've caught the bug!

1 comment:

Rob said...

You are crazy runner dude! Didn't somebody tell you that you turned 30? Start acting your age and sit on your butt!!! ;-)